1936 – DOUBLE MENDELSOHN – 1936 – DOUBLE SPEER

 

1936 – DOUBLE MENDELSOHN, 2012

Transparency and golden mirror

102x80x9 cm

 

1936 – DOUBLE SPEER, 2012

Transparency and golden mirror

102x80x9 cm

 

These two works follow two designs from 1936 by two German architects: Erich Mendelsohn, who left Germany for Palestine in 1933, and Albert Speer, the Third Reich’s major architect.

Mendelsohn became famous for his department stores and cinemas throughout Europe in the 1920s. He was one of the first to use light as an architectural device in relation to space.

1936 – Double Mendelsohn consists of transparencies of parts of the ‘Weizmann House’ that he designed for Israel’s future president over a golden mirror. They show long, parallel windows and the long garden pool.

In 1936 – Double Speer, Mendelsohn’s influence on Speer’s design can be seen. This design, the “Lichtdom” or Cathedral of Light, was made for the 1936 Nuremberg rallies. Speer borrowed 130 anti-aircraft lights, placing them at 12 metre intervals pointing skywards, surrounding the audience with vertical beams of light. Mendelsohn designed for the consumer masses, Speer for the masses that attended the Nazi rally. Speer, however, modified the modernist design to fit the Nazi obsession with rituals and fire.

Follow

Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox.

Join other followers: